Cavities in Milton, ON
Causes of Cavities
- Improper dental hygiene
- A diet high in sugar and starch
- Lack of fluoride
- Chronic diseases or medication which inhibits saliva production
- Drug use
Symptoms of cavities
When cavities are forming, they can have symptoms that are difficult to notice. These symptoms include a slight sensitivity to cold and mild discoloration of the tooth surface. As the cavity advances on the tooth’s dentin, a dark spot will appear and the tooth sensitivity will increase. If a cavity should affect the tooth’s pulp, it can become painful and you may experience bad breath and a bad taste in your mouth. If a cavity is not treated at this point, the tooth becomes prone to infection which can cause an abscess.
- Brush at least twice a day and floss at least once a day
- Minimize the intake of products high in sugar and starch
- Visit the dentist every six months for a complete check-up
- Ask for a professional cleaning at least once a year if you do not smoke (sooner if the tartar build-up is high) or twice a year if you smoke or chew tobacco.
Cavities are common, but they should not affect your busy life! Visit our office today for cost-effective and reliable treatment of cavities in Milton.